The Department of Defense (DoD) Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program provides up to $6,000 of Financial Assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in Portable Career Fields.
Spouses of DoD Active Duty members and federally activated members of the National Guard and Reserve Components are eligible. The period of eligibility for spouses of Guard and Reserve members is from the date of the Alert or Warner Order for Military Recall or Mobilization, through activation and deployment until 180 days following De-Mobilization. Military spouses who are legally separated by state law or court order are ineligible. Spouses who are Active Duty or activated Guard or Reserve members themselves are ineligible because they have their own education benefit programs. Unfortunately, Public Law 110-104 Sec 582 does not allow MyCAA to provide education benefits to Coast Guard spouses.
What does MyCAA pay for?
MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) pays for education and training programs, tuition, and licensing/credentialing fees. This includes degree programs (e.g. associate, bachelor, masters, doctoral and post-doctoral); continuing education classes (including those offered through professional associations); Bar, CPA and other similar exams; and state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other licensed occupations. If the cost of a course includes books, supplies or equipment necessary for the performance of the spouse’s chosen occupation (e.g. cosmetology or masonry tools, electrician operations manual, etc.), MyCAA will pay these costs if not billed separately. MyCAA also pays for high school completion courses, CED tests and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.
How do I get started?
Spouses must first create a MyCAA Account. The process of creating a MyCAA Account is a simple 8-step process. By creating an account, eligible spouses will be eligible for up to $6,000 of MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) to support their Portable Career goals. Here are the 8 easy steps:
1. Eligibility check (real time / automatic DEERS check)
2. Go to https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/Register.aspx and read the MyCAA Fact Sheet and accept the Statement of Understanding (SOU)
3. Create your profile
4. Create your career and training plan (e.g. select a school and courses)
5. Confirm your school and course information with your school officials (to prevent billing errors and delays in receiving Financial Assistance)
6. Get your career and training plan approved (to move to Funding Eligible status)
7. Apply for MyCAA Financial Assistance (FA) when course dates are added and are within 90 days of classes starting
8. Go to your school and register for classes
For additional information, MyCAA contacts or help with setting up a MyCAA Account, visit https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/default.aspx.